Coffee cake is a classic easy cake recipe that has been around forever. It is traditionally served in the morning or early afternoon with coffee or tea, hence the name. I was going through my collection of cookbooks recently, and I came across an old family cookbook. I was happy to find this recipe because it was one of my favorites when I was growing up.
A delicious moist cake with crunchy, buttery, cinnamon-y (I don’t think that’s a word) crumb topping. This takes me right back to my childhood.
The world is a crazy place right now. I have been feeling very nostalgic lately, and I find that I am really craving the foods that I grew up eating. My mom is a fantastic cook. That’s who I get my love for cooking from. We love to cook, and we love to eat!
Wishing my Mom, my Mother-in-law, and all the other Moms out there, a very Happy Mother’s Day.
Classic Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg (in 1cup measuring cup – add milk to fill)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven at 375 F.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the oil, milk, and egg. Stir until the ingredients are just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a lightly greased 9×9 square cake pan.
- Mix the topping ingredients together with your fingertips and sprinkle on the batter.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.