A bright and refreshing salad that is packed with flavor. I have taken all of the traditional ingredients of a classic Greek Salad, adding cooked quinoa to really take it to the next level. This simple salad makes an excellent side dish or serve with cooked shrimp, chicken or chickpeas for a light but filling, lunch or dinner.
- Quinoa has a bitter coating on it, which needs to be rinsed off with cold water before the cooking process.
- All of the ingredients really shine in this dish, so make sure to use good quality ingredients, especially the olive oil, feta, and Kalamata olives.
- The feta and Kalamata olives are quite salty, so you will probably need less salt than you would for other salads. When you have all ingredients mixed together, taste, and only add salt if necessary.
- This salad will keep well in the fridge, tightly covered, for up to 5 days. I find it gets even better after a day or two.
- This salad (like most salads) is very customizable to adjust to your own preferences.
- If you are not a fan of quinoa – cooked rice, couscous, or orzo (rice-shaped) pasta would all be suitable substitutes.
- If you don’t have roasted red peppers, use fresh red peppers.
- Add a can of rinsed and drained chickpeas to this for a very light but filling, vegetarian meal.
- If you have fresh dill on hand, it would be lovely in this salad.
Greek Quinoa Salad
Recipe Source: Vintage Vibes
- one cup quinoa, uncooked
- one cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, cut in half
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 Long English cucumber, diced
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- 2 oz. roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning or dried oregano, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a fine mesh colander, rinse quinoa with cold water. Cook according to package directions. Fluff with a fork. Let cool.
- In a large bowl mix together: cooked quinoa, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, red onion, feta cheese, red pepper, and parsley.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Gently mix all ingredients together. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice if desired. Serve cold. If not serving right away, keep in a tightly covered container for up to 5 days.